OK, Alex's entry on Miracle Child on Seek Geo's Blog inspired me to write this entry about why I was so sick and why I got Gentamycin. For a long time, I had 7 possible causes of hearing loss.
I was born 3 months too early. That's possible cause number 1. Prematurity.
Then I was exposed to too much oxygen in the incubator. Possible cause number 2 - Anoxia.
I also had to suffer through 9 blood transfusions through one of my feet. That's possible cause number 3.
I got hit by hyperbilirubinemia - I became severely jaundiced. Possible reason number 4.
I suffered from meningitis. That's probable reason number 5.
Gentamycin, which I got because of my meningitis, is possible cause number 6.
And finally, possible cause number 7, is hydrocephalus. They had to drill a hole in my head to get the extra liquid out. I still have that hole. One of many reasons why I didn't go through Bald Day at Gallaudet. Heh. But I digress...
I was certainly very sick as a baby. I nearly died several times.
I finally got to come home after 3 months, on my mother's birthday. She was so happy.
Time went by.
Then, when I was 16 months old, I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor. OK, that's possibly another cause of my hearing loss. OK, so there are 8 possible causes of my hearing loss, not 7!
I went in for surgery for the brain tumor. I had a 50% chance of survival.
I guess I came home OK, and was fine until I was 22 months old. That's when they found out that I had a severe hearing loss.
Wow, with all that going on, I'm surprised I'm still around! I am certainly a Miracle Child. Ha.
Oh, and I'm officially cured of my tumor ;-)
So, yes, I still have a hearing loss, but as time has gone over the years, I've come to the realization that the Gentamycin is most likely the cause of my deafness.
How did I come to that conclusion? Well, my hearing loss is not typical of those who acquired hearing loss from meningitis, so meningitis has been ruled out.
However, the other causes still remain.
After reading about other people's experiences with hearing loss from Gentamycin and other ototoxic medications, I've come to realize that it's most likely the Gentamycin that caused my hearing loss, because their experiences are so similar to my experiences. So, I guess my hearing loss is not "etiology unknown" anymore! Heh.
I just thought I'd share my story. I'm kind of going back in time, I know. This should have been my very first post! ;-)
BTW, I've now added Alex's blog to my blogroll ;-)
5 comments:
Hey!
I was lead to this thanks to Geo! I am so pleased my story inspired you to write your own situation. From what I have read you certainly are a miracle child as well! We all are special in our own way and each have overcome a way to survive whatever is thrown at us.
Congratulations for getting through it and being with all of us on Earth!! :)
Thanks for the add!
Alex
Its nice to have another miracle child on board the blogosphere! :)
Wow, some of us are really fortunate to be here!
Medication is the cause of many of us to be deaf -- at different age levels. I was ten years old, so I had a good start.
I think I commented on all of this in my blog, "Lantana's Latitude". Let's round up some more deafies and see how many can blame medication.
Sad! We deserve to be paid off!
Lantana
Lantana - I've now added your link to my deaf blogroll :-) I'll read through it when I have a moment to myself. Thanks!
I had a 10 % hearing loss after taking too much antibiodies when I was very sick with Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Post a Comment