Friday, March 21, 2008

I figured out something new today...

I think I finally figured out how to use a sign language interpreter... I didn't like using sign language interpreters, because I always felt they interfered with the direct access. I liked Gallaudet because of the direct access. Remember, I grew up oral/mainstreamed. I had "direct access" to education. Then when I went to Gallaudet, and I learned sign, and all the teachers signed, that was direct access. I really didn't like it when there were interpreters in the classroom because it was no longer "direct access". I liked CART much better. Not as disruptive in a weird sense. There's something about CART, or the printed word, versus a sign language interpreter for me.

Well, I think I finally figured out a few things. First, I need a sign language interpreter for meetings. That's a given. But I was leery about how to use a sign language interpreter... So I was rather shy about asking for appropriate accommodations... I think I figured it out. I think I'll use the sign language interpreter in a sequential manner instead of in a continuous manner. What does that mean? Well, it means that I look at the speaker directly, and if I miss something, I look over to the interpreter who will then interpret the last part that I missed. Now, I'm going to ask the interpreter to only sign what I missed, to not sign the whole time, because to me, it's disruptive. OK, so I finally figured out how I can use the interpreter in the best way for ME.

I'm finally figuring out how to use certain things that suits me and no one else. I'm finally figuring out how to deal with things by myself and not by what others say or do.

How do you deal with interpreters? Do you read the interpreter all the time, or do you use the interpreter for reinforcement? I prefer to look at the speaker and then use the interpreter for reinforcement or for things I might have missed. Not sure how practical it is, but it's worth a try. I wonder how interpreters feel about continuous versus sequential interpreting... I find all that interesting.

No comments: