Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Follow-up to closed-captioning issue...

OK, a very strange thing happened last night. CW's missing captions turned up on the NBC channel! Argh. L&O didn't make sense, because they were talking about news. That was from CW. They have news on at 10 pm. So I immediately fired off an email to NBC (they also run CW) to let them know about the situation. How could a channel's closed-captioning appear on a different channel?

So, I've been reading the comments to my previous post... So, is it a converter box issue? Or an OTA signal issue? But I live only 5 miles from the station. NBC in my town owns CW. So they should be able to fix it, right? There should be no difference in OTA signals between NBC and CW, right?

I thought that in the case of OTA, that if you don't get a clear signal, you get nothing at all. But the comment that if the signal is not totally clear, it'll show up anyway, but captions will be garbled was interesting to me... I think it's ridiculous that if you don't have a PERFECT OTA signal, you'll miss out on closed-captioning. Could someone have thought of that before mandating that all analog TV signals be converted to digital TV signals? I'm beginning to suspect, like other posters on the world wide web, that perhaps it is a conspiracy after all, to get all people on cable or satellite... And having to pay money to watch TV... Well, if we have to pay for TV, why have ads on TV? Anyway, so what do I do next? Get an attic antenna? I've found that you can get one for 100 bucks! That's cheap! I think I'll go get one. But would it work? Sigh.

Round and round we go...

1 comment:

J.J. said...

I don't have an OTA connection...haven't since the early 80's.

Nonetheless, per FCC's website..you must contact your local provider and ask them for the General Manager's mailing address then write a letter to the GM detailing your precise problem (time, channel, show, etc..all the details) and tell the GM that if this issue is not resolved you will have to formally file a complaint with the FCC. Make copy of that letter and mail it off. If no response within 45 days you can submit a copy of that letter to the FCC along with a formal complaint.

See my blog for more details: http://blog.deafread.com/iwii/archives/29

Start with the above link and back track to the old links...

-JJ