Saturday, August 23, 2008

Presidential Sign Names

Not sure what possessed me to think about presidential sign names as I slowly emerged from sleep this morning. Perhaps because Obama announced his VP pick this morning...

OK, Nixon - the letter 'N' across the chin for lying, right? Lying Nixon...

Carter - the letter 'C' signed as 'peanut'.

Ford - did he have a sign name?

Bush, Sr.?

What's Bush, Jr's sign name?

Reagan - the famous 'R' sign alongside the top of the head...

What's Clinton's sign name?

And what will the new president's sign name be?

I've seen elsewhere that Obama is signed as 'O' and then turned around to end in a 'b'... What would McCain's sign name be?

I find elections so fascinating and exciting, and always wondering, how are we going to sign their names?

Not sure how to post video or pictures to Blogger...

I tried to Google "Presidential Sign Names" - nada. Googled "sign names of presidents" - nope. What search term should I use to find sign names of past presidents?

7 comments:

Dianrez said...

Reagan was signed as "cowboy" (two guns) with R's. Oh, my, please don't ask what Clinton's sign name was...

RLM said...

Oh boy, many deaf Americans still use intitalized signs to represent the Signed English.

Why can't we simply use the body feature of someone famous or celebrity like many Europeans and Russians described their elected leaders?

The WVSD students used "R" in shape of star for Ronald Reagan due to his past Hollywood years.

There is a sign for Gerald Ford like "F" to represent "fall down" as he always got clumsy like falling down almost every time.

I usually used "C" for Clinton based on his nose or "C" represented Carter's smile.

Deaf people also used "n" for Nixon's ski nose.

Robert L. Mason (RLM)

RLM

RLM said...

Dianrez,

Bill Clinton is not really hung or well-endowed on his male gential part. His is kinda crooked. That could be found in Ken Starr's prosecutional report.

RLM

Anonymous said...

How about a sign name for Obama - "0" hand sign moving like famous city signs for "Philadelphia", "Chicago", Indianapolis", and "Rochester". You know, he is from Chicago. Just some ideas.

Anonymous said...

Clinton sign name is C with lying

gnarlydorkette said...

Bush jr-- you hold up a B and sniff from it which refers to his past cocaine use.

Clinton-- C around another hand's index finger-- to indict affairs he had.

Bush Sr-- no idea.

Anonymous said...

As a person who have studied ASL lingustics and all that (I am Deaf by the way), name signs in ASL has rules

There are two kinds of name signs:

Arbitrary (if I spelled that right).. it means there is nothing behind its meaning. This one is used with first letter of the first name. Example: C on chest for Chris. This is the most common in America.

Descriptive.. it means name sign describing the person. The most common one would be for Laurent Clerc, U on cheek, describing the burn on his face that he got when he was a kid. (this is common in Europe and I have been seeing it here more these days)

You CANNOT mix them together. Many of the president signs are incorrect. As Dianrez said for Reagan. That is one example of mixing both. I have been seeing alot of hearing people along with deaf people doing this lately and its not correct.

With president name signs, why don't we simply fingerspell the names? Obama is not hard to spell, so is McCain.

Actually to obtain a name sign, a person should be really into the signing/Deaf community. The presidents are not so fingerspell them out!