Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Comcast putting cap on bandwith

I just found out today that Comcast will cap bandwidth usage. Comcast is my internet provider. I wonder how that will affect my Sorenson videophone (VP)? Do I draw enough bandwidth to have to pay overage fees? I hope not. I think that Comcast's bandwidth limit is unconstitutional and a violation against the ADA - after all, the VP depends on a high speed internet connection... What about US? Those who depend on videophones, etc.

I wonder if I should go over to DSL... My DSL provider is Embarq. Not sure if Embarq is good... How I wish I had Verizon FIOS in my area! But alas, this is a small town... We're not important...

Is there a way to figure out how much bandwidth is actually used when using the VP?

6 comments:

Jared said...

Comcast put a 250G monthly cap. Depending on your down/upload speed, this would be about 540 to 720 hours a month if you used all your internet bandwidth for VP only.

Dianrez said...

In my town we have Roadrunner and several DSL servers. My experience with DSL hasn't been too good where the VP is concerned. Roadrunner has been consistent, so went back to it.

Anna said...

Hey, Jared! Thanks! That's some good information! Thanks for the answer.

jesup said...

250GB/month == ~770Kbps

So if you use 770Kbps 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all month, you'll hit the cap.

I think a Sorenson uses no more than around 500Kbps, perhaps 384Kbps - I think you can set it. If you leave it in a call all the time, you shouldn't hit the cap on that alone, but you would use 2/3rds of the cap, leaving 1/3 for everything else.

Few people probably leave their phone in a call for the entire month, however. :-)

Anonymous said...

Today, I contact with Public Utility Commission of Oregon. The Public Utility Commission (PUC) will continue to investgation with Comcast cable internet provider. I explained with (PUC) about the bandwidth limit 250GB or less. Problem isn't good for Sorenson VP (Video Phone) connect with VoIP and they would be eatting up with bandwidth user on VoIP. Even those who need to communication with Sorenson VP, Skype Webcam, Camfrog Webcam, Yahoo Messenger Webcam, MSN Webcam and etc. That would be such trouble for Comcast bandwidth limit user and it's a violation under constitutional rights.

Anonymous said...

I cannot BELIEVE that you all find it still acceptable that there is a cap restriction, no matter how large it is!

Hearing people do not even HAVE cap restrictions on their phone. Why should we have it?

At the very same time, Title IV of the ADA ALREADY prevents restrictions on communications for any relay services, TTY, IP Relay, VRS, etc....

Why should you settled for it? Write to the FCC and have them REMOVE the Cap.